Today SLA NY welcomed students from Library and Information programs across the metropolitan area to Student Swing. Attendees braved the snow and rain to attend a discussion featuring a panel of recent graduates, enjoy coffee and bagel refreshments, and take a tour of the Davis Library at St. John’s University Manhattan Campus.
Below are my key takeaways, which apply equally to students and working professionals:
- Improve your technical skills – this will help you no matter your job or specialty.
- Move out of your comfort zone – don’t be afraid to try new classes or projects.
- Do internships, and do them early – don’t wait until the end of your academic program.
- Network – when you put yourself out there, opportunity can easily find you.
- Be a problem solver – it will make you a valuable team member.
- Never stop learning – invest in yourself and your career with professional development programs such as those available to SLA members at a local and national level.